Monday 4 November 2013

the 'we made terrariums' post

Terrarium Jars
(and my nana's farm!!)(a lot of pictures)

I have almost been back in London for a week now, but am only just making this post! (laaAaAAaAaaaAazy) So, the day after we went to Mumbles, Monday 28th October, Antoinette and I went to visit my nana's farm in Port Talbot (´∀`)♡
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 
While waiting for our lunch of home-made pizza to cook, we decided to use some of the empty jars that were hanging about to make terrarium's!       

                                  

We started off by filling the jars about a quarter or half the way up with damp soil, so that it would be easy to manipulate it later on ^o^  (we used normal growing soil from a bag we conveniently found in the garden).
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 
After that, we wandered around the farm garden until we found some cute little plants that we wanted to put in our jars! We then parted the section that we wanted from the rest, and gently pulled the plant (including the roots) from the ground, and used our fingers or a butter knife to make a little dip in the soil in the jar and planted  them! (If you're using this as a reference, you're probably not, but don't forget to push the soil around the plant's stem to help keep him straight, okay?)



Next we had to explore for some moss to cover the rest of the visible soil! You can usually find it in damp shady places. We found ours on some wood next to one of the barns, but you can find it growing on rocks and trees and by streams too :-) We used the butter knives to cut the moss from the wood, and it came of really easily which i thought was a bit surprising?? But thinking about it logically it would be quite easy to remove!
(moss grows without roots)

In my jar, i had a bit of a gap where i used some of my soil to hold up my plants, so i used a couple of stones to fill it, and put moss on top of that! It was really just a compromise because i was too lazy to trek back to the garden for a bit more soil, but it ended up looking super cute!! (。^_^。 )人( 。^_^。) *high five*




I don't really have any pictures of how lovely they looked when they were finished, but you should definitely try it for yourself! They were super duper therapeutic to make too (*´∀`*)

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 

More images from the farm!!
(mainly from the conservatory to be honest)
My nana had some old national geographic's hanging about, so we had a lot of fun reading them!
my nana was also showing me some of the children's books she had, since i am super interested in illustration!




After lunch and all our adventuring, Antoinette and I sat down for a bit with my nana and talked, which was amazing since they are two of my favourite people in the world and i was with them both at once!!

Thank you for reading, and i do hope that the length of the post was not too overwhelming!
As i am back in London, the posts will be a little different i suppose haha.

Credit to Antoinette for taking most of the photographs! 
Check out her blog, she's a cool cat 。(*^▽^*)ゞ

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 

Bye for now!

plant gif photo: http://jeannie.hokae.net/iframes.htm plant.gif plant gif photo: http://jeannie.hokae.net/iframes.htm plant.gif plant gif photo: http://jeannie.hokae.net/iframes.htm plant.gif

4 comments:

  1. YAY! So pretty! It seems very fun, the other day reading your post I went to the wood near to my house for some moss. Then I remembered we're in spring/summer in here and moss dries when it's hot ;__;
    it was very sad, but I'll wait for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh thank you very much!! it is super duper fun, and its okay, wait for the autumn, and then show me the finished result!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg the terrariums are so cute!! I definitely need to do that at some point. Ah! I used to waste all my art classes reading national geographic magazines from the 80s, they were so cool ahh <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes omg the old national geographic's are the best, they have the most interesting pictures!! and ah you should definitely try, its super duper fun!

      Delete